Thursday, April 19, 2012

Noa Olivia Kenison

So this is slightly after the fact, but Noa is finally here! The weeks after her arrival were very eventful and there was just no time for blogging. Now that we have gotten back to normal, or at least reached a state of only semi-chaos, its time to update!

The Birth
Ten days after my due date, and one day before my scheduled induction, I went into labor. For a while before she came I had been toying with the idea of going natural this time around. I was still undecided when we arrived at the hospital and as labor progressed I was almost sure that I would be able to do it. Then I experienced the evil that is Pitocin. Now I had heard a lot of people talking about how much Pitocin can increase the intensity of contractions but having never experienced it without an epidural, I was quick to dismiss it as hype. BIG MISTAKE. So to make a long story short, one minute I was fine and the next I wanted to die. I asked for an epidural, I withstood the insertion of the epidural while having contractions every 45 seconds and only then did the doctor check me and inform me that I was at an eight and the epidural was not going to have time to kick in. On the positive side I had her about 20 minutes after this, on the negative they were truly the worst 20 minutes of my life. Because I was in so much pain and unable to push effectively Noa's heart rate dropped to dangerous levels and had to be born with the assistance of a vacuum. So here is the lesson I learned from this experience: If you want to do natural, you MUST prepare mentally and physically. Going in thinking you will just wing it is not an effective strategy! I also learned that I am not a natural birth type of person. Next time around when the nurse asks if I am getting an epidural it will be a definite YES!

The Stats
8lbs 6oz and 21in long. That is almost two pounds bigger than Rorie! It will be fun to see if she continues to be larger or if it was just the result of almost two weeks more "in the oven".

The Following Weeks
My mom was able to be with us for two weeks after she was born. It was great to have the extra pair of hands, especially the very willing and capable hands of Grandma. Rorie quickly became a little mom and was eager to help with the day to day tasks caring for Noa. We experienced a little miracle during our first week home. Jakes grandmother, who had been ill for several years, passed away. Because I was so late in having her, Jake was still on paternity leave and was able to make the 20hr round trip to Utah to attend her funeral. He never would have been able to go if she had come on time. It was a good reminder that everything happens on the Lords time, and there is usually a good reason for our trials. Ten extra days of being miserable and pregnant were totally worth Jake being able to say a final farewell to a woman that had meant so much to him. My MIL Karen and SIL Mia came down to visit us on the tail end of my mothers stay. We were all together for Easter and were able to bless Noa at our house that evening. It was a sweet experience with just our family and a very charitable Bishop who was willing to give of his time on a holiday Sunday. By the following Wednesday all of our family had returned home. It was a bittersweet feeling to be on our own once again. Now that Noa is a month old we have gotten into the swing of being a family of four. Life is somewhat chaotic, the house is never quite clean enough, and there is never enough time in the day, but there is so much joy! It is hard to imagine life without Noa and the sweet spirit she brings to our home. We are truly blessed!

Here are some pictures:





We will keep you all updated on our many baby adventures!

Love,
The Kenisons

3 comments:

The Shirleys said...

The picture of Rorie and Noa is so cute! I am so glad that she made it safely. I am a bit jealous that we haven't seen her yet, but we will have to work on that. :0)

As a side note; Happy Birthday Uncle Jakie!!!

Wilkins Williwaw said...

Your girls are so cute!! I feel, or rather felt, your pain. I too experienced the evil that is pitocin without an epidural. I was sure that I should die! But I am glad I lived!

Happy Birthday Uncle Jakie!!

Worlds Endless said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your experience. Bethany spent 7 hours of labor -- 1 minute contractions -- before her epidural. Those 7 hours were some of the more difficult of my life (and, not to speak for her, but I'm confident she'll say the same).