Saturday, August 24, 2013

Anchors Away! A Deployment Day Story.

Its official, Jake is deployed. In a weird way, its a relief. Before we went through the process ourselves we were told countless times that the hardest parts are the few weeks prior and the few weeks post deployment. I know now that as crazy as that sounds, it is absolutely true. Watching the days tick down to departure is a special kind of torture. Every time we did something fun together, like going to the zoo, there is a small voice in your head saying "this is it, our last zoo trip before deployment". Its hard to enjoy the time together knowing how limited it is. I guess this is just one more thing to check off the "Military Life" list.

The day he left we headed down to the pier around 6am. We had breakfast on base at McDonalds before dropping him off. Jake surprised the girls with stuffed Battle Buddies, bears in military uniform that are handed out to children with deployed parents. It was a nice surprise and helped to lift the mood a little bit.

Daddy and his girls (and their buddies)

I need to add a little side note that I forgot. Jake shave his head the night before he left (see pic above). He had been teasing me for weeks that when he came home he was going to walk of the ship with a bald head and mustache. I finally decided to call his bluff and I dared him to go through with it. Obviously I lost that battle. I think we can all agree that hair is a better look for him!

Ok, so now to get back to my story. Saying goodbye was awful and sad and horrible and sad. Did I mention how sad it was? Seriously everyone, I REALLY don't recommend doing the whole deployment thing. Rorie and Noa were both much braver than me, which helped force me to put on a brave face. Even Jake was teary eyed. We left after our goodbyes instead of sticking around to watch the ship pull out. Occasionally the sailors are allowed to get off and say goodbye one more time, but we had been warned in advance that this was not going to be the case for us. I decided sitting around for three hours with two kids wasn't worth it. My friend just happened to be in the area and snapped a picture as they pulled out of the harbor.


I know this post is a major bummer, but I want to end it on a happy note. I want to say that despite all the awfulness of deployment, I really do love military life. It is an amazing to be apart of something so big and so important. You cant help but feel a sense of pride when you experience a military farewell or homecoming. The men and woman in the Navy and Marines (and all other military branches) are AMAZING. They sacrifice so much for all of us. Knowing a little about their mission this deployment makes it easier to say goodbye. Our families sacrifice is so worth it!

To all of the fine men and woman aboard the USS BOXER,  Fair winds and Following seas!


Love,
The Kenisons

3 comments:

Chelsea @ Making Home Base said...

Big HUGE hugs to you guys. It is super hard! I don't like watching the ship leave either. And I totally can relate to feeling relieved. Now you can start your real count down. Hoping for a fast deployment for you guys and I look forward to reading your amazing homecoming story!!!

The Shirleys said...

This post was very touching to me because I understand to some degree how you are/were feeling. I also know that there isn't anything more important to Jake in the whole world than his three girls! We love you all and are praying for you each day.

Let us know if there is anything specific Jake wants so we can make sure to put it in a care package for him. :0)

G-pa & G-ma K said...

It was hard for me to even read your account. There is something inside me that feels different when he is not on land. I'm guessing that is true for you. Thanks for your blogging. It's good to be able to get a quick update once in a while.